Also known simply as boho, Bohemian has become one of the hottest interior decorating trends. Using Google Trends, you can see that search volume for the query "boho decor" has increased rapidly over the past 15 years. In 2004, there was virtually no interest in this decor style. Around 2017, however, search volume for "boho decor" on Google began to skyrocket. So, what is Bohemian decor, and what benefits does it offer compared to other decor styles?
Overview of Bohemian Decor?
Bohemian is a style of interior decor that's characterized by a semi-eclectic blend of colors, textures and patterns to create a relaxing and artistic environment. By definition, the word "Bohemian" means "gypsy," which is reflected upon its style. Bohemian decor doesn't follow a linear path with uniform furnishings and decorations. Instead, it offers the freedom to choose a combination of different furnishings and decorations -- similar to that of eclectic decor styles.
Bohemian Decor Advantages
Using Bohemian decor will allow you to create a colorful and attractive environment inside your home. Unlike other decor styles, it doesn't restrict you to using just one or two main colors. You can fill your home with furniture and decorations in a variety of colors using Bohemian decor.
In addition to greater freedom when choosing colors, Bohemian decor offers a naturally classic appearance that's able to withstand the hands of time for countless years to come. You don't have to worry about your home's decor going out of style. If you use Bohemian decor, it will remain relevant and attractive.
Tips on Using Bohemian Decor in Your Home
Now that you know the benefits of using Bohemian decor, you might be wondering how to integrate it into your home. While you can always perform trial and error to see what furnishings and decorations work best, we've compiled a few tips below to help you achieve an attractive, functional Bohemian decor in your home:
- Choose furniture and decorations with patterns over those consisting of a single, solid color.
- Embrace natural elements, such as houseplants and natural lighting, to create a more lively environment.
- Don't be afraid of using white or other light colors. Bohemian decor actually works well in white rooms and spaces.
- Use throw pills and blankets to create a layered appearance with furniture.
- Fill walls with attractive, attention-grabbing artwork.
- Install alternative lighting solutions, such as wall sconces or pendant lighting, to illuminate your home in a Bohemian style.